The ability to turn a boring space into a gorgeous room with character is truly a gift, and something that can help a lot of people. Many people with a keen interest and talent in this area, start it out as just a hobby and a fun way to use their creativity, but what if you could do more with it?
What if your skills could actually change the homes and lives of thousands of people and allow you to earn money doing something you love?
We’re living in the greatest time ever to have a skill for decorating, there are plenty of platforms that can help you, tons of short and affordable courses to boost your skills and a market of many people who would want to pay you for what you do.
It might not be easy, but it’s certainly worth it. You just have to be willing to work hard and build your credibility from the ground up.
Here are some of the ways you can turn your interior decorating interest into something bigger.
1. Start a YouTube Channel & Start At Home
Some of the most in-demand decorators in the world grew their popularity on YouTube. YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world, and billions of people are constantly searching for ideas to enhance their homes and decorate. You can create content that’s aligned to those people, and build up your credibility.
But if you’re starting a décor YouTube channel and you don’t have any demand or any clients, what’s your content going to be based on? Transforming your own home. Many successful decorating YouTubers use their own homes as the portfolio of the work they do.
If you’re in a rental, make renter-friendly home projects, going area by area, and post that to your channel. If you’re a new homeowner, show the journey to making the place truly your own. Be consistent, build a loyal following and then you have a really good launching pad.
2. Decorate for Your Circle
Your friends and family are actually a great place to get started with your decorating.
You can approach them and offer to help them with decorating projects, and provide some of the materials.
This is a really good training ground for your skills. It’s a low-pressure environment that helps you learn how to deal with clients and do a project from start to finish.
3. Offer Free Consultations
Free consultations are actually a very good source of business for a person who wants to generate leads and take their skills to the next level. All you need is a really good landing page, a strategy to drive traffic to the page, and an offer to help people solve their biggest decorating problems.
Many people have struggles figuring out how to enhance a room, how to make it less dated, or make it look more spacious. You can offer your expertise and point them in the right direction.
- If they are struggling to find the right window treatments, you can talk to them over a Zoom call as they show you the window, the room décor and discuss the look they want. You can then point to them to retailers where they can buy stunning curtains that complement their space and solve their issue.
- If they are working from home but don’t live in a big house, you can help them with portioning off a part of that space for a small but productive work area.
- A home renovation is probably one of the most stressful processes in life, especially for people doing it without the help and guidance of a decorator. You can step in with your expertise, and help them have a stress-free renovation.
The point is, offering your time to help people will position you as a helpful consultant and that will spread the word and help you generate business.
4. Offer Virtual Decorating
When everything shut down in 2020, people were concerned about the future of the interior decorating industry. But thanks to a surge in the interest in home improvement and Zoom, interior decorators are also now offering virtual sessions.
This is especially well-suited to clients who love to DIY in their own right – you provide them with the plan and they can execute it. What makes this so amazing is that you can decorate for people all over the world, helping them plan, source and execute on a design from the comfort of your own home.
5. Collaborate With Other Creatives
Your community is packed with people who have valuable skills that you could partner with for a cross-promotion opportunity. From photographers to contractors, this kind of arrangement is valuable because it’s mutually beneficial.
Here are a few ideas;
- Get a photographer to take really beautiful photos of the transformation you’ve made in your own home. You can tag them in the social media photos and they can put the photos in their social media portfolio and tag you.
- Find a really good carpenter who can build you something for your home, include that in a YouTube video and tag them on social media.
- Partner with a real estate agent and offer to stage their listings to make them sell for more money. You get to showcase your decorating skills and get some clients, and they make more money – it’s a win-win!
If you have a love for decorating, don’t be afraid to think big! There are so many ways you can leverage this skill and provide something valuable to all sorts of people. Remember, it’s all about hard work, relationships and proving yourself.