“What to wear, what to wear?” This is the day-old question that pops up when choosing an outfit, whatever the event may be. One major area of style debate is wedding attire. On the one hand, you have to dress formally for the occasion and keep any attire guidelines in mind, but on the other hand, you never want to outshine the bride. Then there’s the bridesmaids’ dresses, and you don’t want to seem as though you’re part of the bridal party. Some weddings have very strict guest attire guidelines, while others may leave you feeling confused about what’s appropriate for the occasion.
If you have a wedding to attend and are in a bit of a conundrum on what to wear, we’ve pulled together what the experts and the public have to say. Check out these tips for dressing up as a guest at a wedding to help you look good and suit the occasion.
Dos and Don’ts
First, you probably know to avoid wearing white and to pay attention to the wedding’s dress code. Additionally, you might want to be prepared for future events, allowing you to save money by choosing an outfit you can repeat. In addition to those norms, here are some other style dos and don’ts to keep in mind when attending a wedding:
- Opt for medium to full coverage to ensure you stay warm during the crisp fall weather.
- Fall is the perfect time to wear dark hues, jewel tones, and luxurious fabrics. They not only reflect the season but also add a touch of elegance.
- Elevate your ensemble with the addition of nice accessories. Great-looking women’s flats, statement jewelry, and a gorgeous bag to add the perfect finishing touch.
- Go for extremely short hemlines. A more modest hemline is always a safer bet.
- If the wedding is taking place outdoors, steer clear of lightweight fabrics. They may not provide enough warmth during the chillier fall evenings.
- Always remember to bring along a stylish shawl or jacket. This precaution helps you stay comfortable if the temperatures drop during the event.
Looking Sharp at Formal Weddings
When it comes to wedding attire, making the right choices for black-tie events can be the most nerve-racking, as they come with a stricter dress code that also costs more. While the couple-to-be may make it easy to come up with wedding gift ideas, they’re not going to pick your clothes for you.
This is the perfect occasion to dress up in an elegant full-length evening gown or a sophisticated cocktail dress, especially if you live in a mild client area. Dark colors such as deep emerald green, black, navy, and burgundy are all good choices, though softer shades like rose, blush, and lavender can also make for a striking ensemble. Use materials like satin, sequins, jacquard, floral burnout, lace, or velvet, and finalize the outfit with a pair of heels and some dazzling jewelry.
For men, it’s all about the details. Start by selecting a traditional black tuxedo and adding a sense of individual style with one of your best men’s ties. Go for one that has a tasteful pattern or a deep, autumn color because it will stand out beautifully against a classic black suit. Remember, it should complement and not compete with your suit, so always ensure its width and length are appropriate and it’s tied with a nice, neat, and symmetrical knot. Lastly, ensure your suit or tux is tailored to perfection.
Dressing your best as a wedding guest
In conclusion, picking out the perfect fall wedding guest attire doesn’t have to be a headache. By keeping the above in mind, you can strike a balance between style and comfort, ensuring that you look your best without upstaging the adorable couple. Remember, while appearances matter, the most important thing is to enjoy the celebration and make lasting memories.