Home and Garden

Why DIY Asbestos Removal is a Big No-No

DIY projects are certainly more popular now more than ever. Almost every household has their own DIY projects ongoing. That’s probably because more tutorials are uploaded now on every social media platform. In addition to that, materials and machines have been more accessible to anyone.

But if there’s one thing that you shouldn’t DIY, it’s the removal of asbestos. this should always be done by commercial asbestos disposal experts!

Asbestos Testing and asbestos removal is a tricky situation to be in.  Accidental inhalation of asbestos dust can lead to a lot of lung-related diseases. In addition, removing it entails a lot of careful planning and proper inspection first. That’s why you should let the professionals take over this dangerous process.

If you don’t believe us, below are only some of the dangers that the asbestos fibers can bring. Once inhaled, you can suffer from these lung diseases:

Why DIY Asbestos Removal is a Big No-No


Asbestos is not a joke. That’s a universal fact. It can scar your lungs if you have inhaled even a tiny amount of its dust. This scarring is called asbestosis. But it’s more than just a scarring. This disease will restrict you from breathing, so you will experience shortness of breath most of the time.

When this happens, insufficient amounts of oxygen will enter your body. And as you already know, oxygen is one of the most important factors in most of our bodily functions.

In fact, if asbestosis goes untreated, it can lead to a scarier situation: cardiac failure, which is why asbestos commercial clean up is a must.

Lung Cancer

Yes, you can still suffer from lung cancer even if you’re not a smoker. If you’ve inhaled a significant amount of asbestos dust, the fibers will stick to your lung tissues and will cause genetic and cellular damage to them. Eventually, these damaged tissues can transform into cancerous cells.

And from there, a lot of complications can happen. So if we were you, we’ll try not to touch not even a single area of your house that you suspect of asbestos presence.


Mesothelioma is another type of cancer. A rare one. It’s a form of cancer that only occurs on the linings of the heart, lungs, chest, and abdomen. Once you suffer from this disease, you will experience symptoms like pains in the chest and shortness of breath.

But what’s scary about this rare type of cancer is that medical experts will only be able to detect it once it starts spreading. So by the time that this disease presents itself, some damage might have already been done. That’s why most people who are diagnosed with this form of cancer are given the life expectancy of only 12 months.

So if you think that accidental inhalation of asbestos dust is a trivial thing, you might want to think about it again.

What you can do

Inhaling asbestos fibers are absolutely scary. Just knowing that your house is filled with it can make you nervous, especially if you know the damage that it can bring. If you suspect there’s asbestos in your home, visit Asbestos Sampling to get your asbestos testing kit.

But don’t worry, it’s not the end of the world once you’ve learned that your house has asbestos in it. All you have to do is look for the best companies that can inspect, whip up a detailed report, and can handle asbestos register Melbourne and Victoria.

These professionals from asbestos inspection companies will tell you the best steps to take to minimize your health risks given that you have asbestos in your house.

Just make sure not to renovate your house all by yourself. Because there’s a big chance that you’ll hit an asbestos-filled area and you might accidentally inhale the asbestos dust. Like we’ve mentioned all throughout this piece, everything can go south from there.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *