Summer has said its goodbyes and the autumn is almost upon us, which happens to be the best time to make any roofing repairs, as the hot weather recedes, and with dropping temperatures, you can have your roof inspected by a local roofing company. Here are just a few things you can do to give your roof a clean bill of health.
- Clean Out the Guttering – This is essential and the guttering should be cleaned at every few months, especially if you have overhanging trees, as wet leaves are a major cause on blocked guttering. If your guttering has seen better days, you might want to consider replacing it with a stainless steel or PVC system, which will ensure that all the excess rainwater will be channeled down to the drainage system.
- Replace any Missing Roof Tiles – Regular visual inspection would reveal any missing tiles, which should be replaced as soon as possible. If this happens, the local slate roofing services in Sydney that installed the roof would be able to source an identical match, and for a nominal fee, the contractor will replace the missing tiles and also inspect the roof while he is there.
- Power Wash the Roof – This can be done if you rent a power wash unit for the weekend, and it will bring back that just-installed look. If you are unsure about working at height, this is something your local roofing company can handle, and there is another thing that can be done at this stage. While you have the unit on hire, you can use it to clean the terrace and the driveway, and if you rent the machine for a long weekend, you can transform the look of your home.
- Roof Sealant – This will definitely prolong the life of your roof, and the sealant is elasticated, which allows it to move when the roof expands and contracts. The roofer can apply a sealant directly after the power wash, as this ensures a good bonding, and once the sealant has cured, the roof will have a protective layer.
- Replace the Fascia & Soffit – These timber boards can be replaced with attractive PVC lengths that have concealed fittings, and they will last for many years. This eliminated costly maintenance, and with some very attractive colors, you can add some appeal to your exterior. When you consider that the fascia and soffit have to endure the climate, year in, year out, with strong sunlight heavy rain and high winds, replacing it with a composite material is a wise long-term investment. There is an informative article on the benefits of using composite materials, which is an interesting read.
It is very important to have your roof inspected on a regular basis, and by taking the above tips into account, your roof will be ready for the winter. If the roof of your house is always in good order, you will have peace of mind, knowing that your home is well-protected, and by protecting the roof with a top quality sealant, you can expect to enjoy many years of trouble-free use.
Feature Image Source: Unsplash