During a kitchen remodel, choosing new countertops is one of the most important, and most stressful, decisions you can make. While it can be easy to become overwhelmed by the amount of information available, read on to discover what you need to know about deciding on the perfect kitchen countertop. If you are looking for professional guidance when picking your countertops, connect with interior design firms Santa Monica.
1. Look at Regular Wear and Tear
Before picking materials or color schemes, you first need to think about how you use your kitchen. Do you have young children, or do you frequently cook with messy foods? You should especially consider how often you use sharp utensils like knives and how often you work with foods likely to leave a stain. Knowing how you use your counterspace is a vital part of deciding the level of durability you need for your new counters.
2. Consider Durable Materials
Not all countertops are created equal. Some materials require less maintenance and are more resistant to scratches and stains than others. To decide if one of the durable countertop materials listed below is the right choice for you, talk with a kitchen designer near me:
- Granite will stand up to scratches, stains, and heat. It does require semi-annual resealing.
- Engineered stone is antibacterial and very stain and scratch resistant. It also requires little maintenance.
- Laminate is stain resistant and easy to clean, but it can be scratched more easily than other materials.
3. Explore Today’s Trendy Options
If you are less concerned about durability or maintenance, there are many other countertops to consider. Interior designers Los Angeles can help you find a beautiful material that perfectly matches your design dreams:
- Marble, while delicate, is also elegant and beautiful. A marble countertop will make any kitchen stand out.
- Wood is a classic option that makes kitchens feel warm and inviting. While easily to clean, it is susceptible to water damage.
- Concrete is a trendy countertop option that is available in a wide range of colors and finishes, but it does require consistent maintenance.
4. Pay Attention to Color and Pattern
If you are worried about stains and messes, then think carefully about what colors and patterns you choose. Countertops in lighter colors with more obvious patterns will hide a mess better than dark, neutral countertops. A polished countertop will disguise signs of everyday use better than a matte one. For trustworthy advice on the right countertop for your home, turn to interior design firms Santa Monica.
5. Let Your Playful Side Shine
A kitchen countertop is important, but it doesn’t need to be boring. Many countertops are available in a wide range of colors, so you don’t have to choose one in a neutral shade. If you have a kitchen island, consider making it a different color and material than your main counter. This is a great way to give your kitchen added visual interest.
Don’t become overwhelmed while choosing the a kitchen countertop for your home. Remember to find a counter durable enough to meet your needs and have fun when deciding what colors and patterns are right for you. Working with interior design firms Santa Monica will give you the confidence to know that you are designing the perfect kitchen for your lifestyle.