Invisalign is a revolutionary way to straighten teeth, and this clear plastic corrective device is virtually undetectable, and can also be removed for easy cleaning. While we have come a long way since the days of heavy wire braces, Invisalign isn’t a fit and forget solution and, with that in mind, here are a few Invisalign mistakes you will want to avoid.
- Eating Food Wearing the Device – It might seem convenient to just leave it in, after all, you can easily clean the corrective device when you brush your teeth. Ask any Invisalign specialist covering North Shore and they will tell you that the device should be removed for eating. The reasons for this include the fact that eating could cause the device to become misshapen, and certain foods might stain the device, making it more prominent.
- Forgetting to Wear the Device – You must be vigilant regarding wearing the device, which should only be removed when eating. For best results, the dentist recommends wearing the device for at least 20 hours per day, so that means leaving the device in when sleeping. After cleaning the Invisalign, always remember to wear it, as this will promote the desired results, and resist the temptation to leave it out, especially if you feel a dull ache while wearing the device. In former times, a teeth straightening device could not be removed, yet modern solutions allow the wearer to remove the device, which means you must exercise self-discipline and always wear the device when not eating.
- Failure to Keep the Device Clean – Forgetting to clean the device properly can lead to a gum infection, as the device is worn for most of the time, and any trapped food particles will generate bacteria growth. Your dentist would tell you how best to keep the corrective device clean, and by making sure the device is completely clean after meals will ensure that bacteria cannot take hold.
- Assuming a Quick Fix – The Invisalign device works by putting the right amount of pressure at specific points and this takes time. The treatment could last anything from 6 months to 3 years, depending on the desired results and the severity of the problem, so be prepared for the long haul.
- Smoking and Invisalign – You might be thinking that smoking makes no difference, yet tobacco will stain the device, so if you do smoke, restrict this to after means, just before you insert the device. It is much healthier to quit smoking altogether, and if that is proving difficult, consider switching to an electronic cigarette, which does not contain the many harmful toxins that are found in cigarette smoke.
Far from being a passive treatment, wearing a corrective Invisalign device requires that the wearer carry out regular cleaning and makes sure to wear the device at all times, with the exception of eating meals. If you would like to explore the possibilities of having your teeth straightened, all it takes to locate a dental clinic is an online search. If you need a recommendation, you can consult the Cosmetic dentist in Roseville for more information about Invisalign.