Disclaimer: This post is paid sponsorship with Silver&Fit via BSM Media. Any opinions stated are those of the author.
I had not heard of Silver&Fit® previous to this undertaking, but I’m sure glad that I am able to be a part of it. Online classes (via Facebook Live or YouTube) are held several times a day for different fitness levels. I appreciate being able to work towards being healthier and more fit, in my own home…at my own pace. To say that I am overweight and in pretty bad physical shape, is an understatement. In no uncertain terms – I’m FAT and UNFIT. I have sleep disorders, and pretty significant spondylitis (arthritis in my lower back and hips). I have let myself slip farther and farther into an unhealthy state of existence. Embarrassment over my size, and fear of not being able to “keep up” (along with the state of the world as it is at this time), has kept me from venturing out to a gym. I’m even reluctant to walk in my neighborhood, now that I’m without my Service Dog (I lost him to cancer), as the fear of falling is always at the back of my mind.
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I logged onto Facebook and got ready to participate in the Beginner Level Class, but I was pleasantly surprised. The young instructor was upbeat and very encouraging. AND, the class was all done sitting in a chair. Now for all you people that walk, run, hit the gym on a regular basis, you might be laughing out loud right now. RIGHT…how can you work out sitting in a chair? Well, when you are at my size and age, with the pain that I experience 24/7, working out sitting in a chair – IS A WORK OUT!
We did gentle stretches with upper and lower body movements. At the end of the 30 minutes, I wasn’t overly “winded”, but I was tired, and my legs ached a bit, but over all, I felt better. I plan to continue with the beginner level class, and to try the Yoga class too. Hey, maybe in a few months, I’ll work up to the intermediate level and find myself doing more strenuous exercises off that chair! Find the complete online schedule HERE.
From Silver & Fit
Anybody can join us on Facebook Live Monday – Friday and any time on YouTube for various types and levels of workouts that are open to the public. Try cardio, yoga, strength training, and more—and invite your friends to join online, too!
• The Silver&Fit program is one of the nation’s leading healthy aging and exercise programs. The mission of the brand is to keep health plan members healthy and vibrant – to help people live healthier lives.
• The program is for older adults who are members of a Medicare Advantage health plan.
• American Specialty Health contracts with Medicare Advantage plans to offer the Silver&Fit program.
On SilverandFit.com, members can take advantage of health tools that may help them chart their progress. SilverandFit.com includes:
• A Health Library which contains articles that complement the program, whether it is the fitness facility membership or the Silver&Fit Home Fitness Program
• The latest issue of The Silver Slate® — members’ quarterly Silver&Fit newsletter
• Easy-to-use health tools to help members monitor various health indicators
• Access to a comprehensive fitness facility locator to help members find the facility that’s right for them
• Access to an online store
• Real-time enrollment information and the ability to print ID cards and download Silver&Fit Program descriptions
See how Silver&Fit is helping members improve their lives: http://www.ashcompanies.com/News/Default.aspx?id=19-61366
So what do you think? Are you a senior or know a senior that could benefit from Silver&Fit?