Slips, trips and falls are the matters of everyday life that must be dealt sensibly. Sometimes, small injuries can cause severe damage, so when you are aware of their causes and how to prevent them, things can be sorted out well. We have worked out a guideline for you in this regard to consider and keep yourself safe and sound in your everyday life.
Causes of Slips, Trips and Falls
Sometimes, you get unbalanced and slip, trip or fall quite unexpectedly. There are possibilities that you may get injured as a result of these sudden accidents. There may be times when you are not at fault, but you still receive a slip or fall injury. This might be out of the mistake of your manager, supervisor or homeowner. In such a case, you must seek and receive some immediate medical treatment, report the accident, document everything and consult some competent and reliable injury attorney to keep all your ends safe. Otherwise, things may go wild and legally disturb you a lot.
There may be several factors involved in these mishaps of daily life. You may slip when you lose your balance or footing. Getting your foot caught on or in something may trip you and, likewise, you may fall when you come downstairs speedily or collide against some heavy object while walking around. Amongst the most common causes of slips, trips and falls, you may name spills, rain, loose mats, rugs, peels, ice or snow, and stepladders. Low lighting and litter or clutter may also cause you to slip or fall, and you may receive injuries such as bruises, cuts, sprains, fractures, strains, scratches and bumps.
How to Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
You may fall due to slips and trips while walking around in your own house or office. Good housekeeping, fine quality of the flooring, selection of proper footwear, appropriate pace while walking may help you a lot prevent fall accidents. Sensible housekeeping involves:
- Mopping all spills carefully and immediately
- Pointing out or marking spills and wet areas around
- Clearing away debris from floors all around
- Keeping all the walkways clear of any obstacle or clutter
- Ensuring no wrinkles in mats and rugs
- Making sure that all the file cabinets or drawers are closed
- Covering wires and cables passing or crossing the walkways
- Having all the walkways always well-lit
- Being vigilant about replacing the used bulbs and switches immediately
The type of flooring you have and the way you maintain it counts a lot while taking preventive measures against slips, trips and falls. You may take the following preventative measures with your flooring bu using products from an anti-slip system manufacturer:
- Recoating or replacing the old slippery floors
- Installing mats or replacing the old ones
- Laying out pressure-sensitive abrasive strips
- Applying an abrasive-filled paint-on coating
- Metal or synthetic decking
- Putting your best efforts in cleaning and maintaining your high-tech flooring.
As for footwear, you should take the following precautionary measures.
- Select footwear with anti-slip properties
- Always select the footwear as per the demand of your work or activity.
- Choose correctly fitting footwear to enhance your safety under different conditions.
- Ensure your comfort as well as prevent fatigue by selecting the best footwear compatible with the form and pattern of flooring you live or work on.